In doing my research for my feng shui adventure, I ran across a chart that shows what characteristics are of Yin and which are of Yang and if you have too much of either one then...well, I know this is another side trip but Feng Shui for me seems like a whole series of side trips so taking that into consideration, I really like this one and want to share it with you.
First you need to find your attributes on the Yang and Yin charts so I will enter them here. (From the book Feng Shui Chic)
No one is entirely yin or yang, but at any given point in time you have a predominant energy in your body.
Start with how you are right now. Check the attributes in each list that describe you in the present moment and count up the score.
|QUICK MOVEMENTS||SLOW MOVEMENTS|
|MENTAL, INTELLECTUAL||PHYSICALLY ORIENTED|
|VALUE DECISIVENESS & CHANGE||VALUE COMFORT & SAFETY|
|TOO MUCH YANG||TOO MUCH YIN|
|FEEL HYPERACTIVE||GET DEPRESSED OFTEN|
|DO NOT EXPRESS EMOTIONS EASILY||CRY FREQUENTLY|
|ENERGETIC AND ACTIVE||GAIN WEIGHT EASILY|
|ALWAYS THINKING ABOUT THE FUTURE||DWELL IN THE PAST|
|NOT PRACTICAL ENOUGH||FEELINGS OF HOPELESSNESS|
|WANDER THROUGH LIFE||TEND TO CONTROL OTHERS|
|HAVE A HARD TIME STAYING HOME||DO NOT WANT TO LEAVE THE HOUSE|
|THROW EVERYTHING AWAY||HOLD ON TO THINGS TOO LONG|
Now believe it or not, there are actually adjustments you can make in your homes decor to balance your Yin Yang or energy. Isn't this great? I know how to cheer myself and my clients up but did not realize that we could use Feng Shui ensuring a successful transition.
Very briefly, you can change the following if you have too much Yang:
- Shapes - include curved or flowing shapes. You can replace a wood cocktail table for a curvy wicker one.
- Colors - tone it down. Black is the most Yin color...deep dark colors are good too. Stay away from white walls.
- Furnishings - soften and absorb. Minimize mirrors, increase your upholstered furniture, reduce your wood.
- Lighting - think soft. Install dimmer switches, use full window coverings and add downward lamp lighting.
- Windows and floor treatments - think rich and full. Change wood shutters to draperies. Cover hard flooring with plush rugs.
- Density and size - full it up. Lots of furniture and a heavy armoire or chest increase Yin energy. Cover light colored counter tops with potted plants in the corners.
If you have too much Yin:
- Shapes - straighten up. Add tall vertical lines like bamboo sticks, plants, vertical stripes.
- Colors - turn on the heat. Add some bright color to your spaces like a red bowl on your table, bright bed sheets, bold art, colored candles
- Furnishings - be firm. Get your stuff off the floor like baskets, magazine racks, plants. You want firmness like wood arms on your upholstered chairs.
- Lighting - go natural. Use natural light as much as possible. Light up your dark rooms with bright track lighting, use halogens that send light upward instead of downward.
- Windows & floor treatments - think open and clean. Replace fabric window coverings with wood shutters or blinds. Expose all your hard surfaces and keep rugs to an absolute minimum. Surround yourself with shinny surfaces
- Density and size - lighten up. Clear pathways, use lightweight furniture, and keep the scale small. Keep your counters clear.