I am glued to the TV this weekend watching "Planet Earth" and other shows celebrating Green Day. Our beloved planed is in trouble because of us and we are the only ones who can do anything about it. I have Tivo'd everything I could find. The red light was on last night when I went to bed and on this morning when I woke up. We have come a long way since the first economy car was introduced way back when.
I am also overwhelmed at how stuck I am to old patterns. I cannot believe that I went to the supermarket yesterday and came home with my groceries in plastic bags again. We have been posting all week here in the rain about what changes to make and bringing my own bags to the market was going to be my big new contribution to my color green. I am stunned how thick headed I am! I completely forgot until I was setting the new plastic bags full of food onto the table.
So...what is it going to take for me? I am posting, commenting, watching, reading, and thinking as green as I can yet my patterns are still red!
Just like turning negative thoughts into positive living, I am going to have to employ the same techniques...post-it notes everywhere...on the mirror, on the fridge, on the microwave, on the trash cans, on my car dash, on my computer, and so on...
What I didn't know until this weekend is
- 20% of carbons released into the atmosphere come from our homes
- A gallon of gas weighs 3 pounds but turns into 21 pounds of carbon gas when used (3 of those pounds are used to create it and get it into your car)
- Laptops use 50% less energy than PC's
- Cutting out eating red meat just once a week will save 840 gallons of water
- Each American contributes 4.5 pounds of trash per day
- You cannot recycle paper that is coated with plastic like wax paper, yogurt containers, etc.
- Junk mail produces 100,000,000 pounds of carbon gas and you can stop them from coming by logging onto greendimes.com
- The average person uses 2200 napkins a year producing 1 billion pounds of paper waste. (Excluding Jeff Turners kids which use that many a month)
- Cleaning solutions around the house can kill you. I keep buying them yet I have a complete section dedicated to safe cleaning solutions to make from ordinary products on my web site.